Re: exim 4 packages uploaded to experimental

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 02:10:12PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:01:44PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> >> The Debian exim 4 maintainer team proudly announces the upload of the
> >> first version of Debian exim 4 packages to Debian experimental.
> > [...]
> >> - TLS support using GnuTLS.
> >> - MySQl, Postgresql, LDAP support
>
> > Do you have plans to build a TLS enabled only package? Having to have
> > db and ldap support only for TLS is not very good (IMHO)
>
> The problem is: Where do you stop, which flavours are the most
> interesting ones? Shipping all permutations of with(out) perl,
> w/o tls, w/o mysql, w/o Postgresql, w/o LDAP and w/o exotic
> (ROUTER_IPLOOKUP, SUPPORT_MBX, LOOKUP_DNSDB, AUTH_SPA) cannot be done.
> Each flavour requires about 300KB mirror-space (i386) and considerable
> computing power by the buildds.

  Yes, I know. And this have to be thinked well.

> Suggestions for decision-making are welcome.

  I was going to propose to have standard exim with TLS support, and
  make another with only LDAP and the other with only *sql support. For
  the last two I have the rationale that usually people using LDAP
  accounts won't use also a different database. But I have just realized
  that though libssl is standard priority, libgnutls is only optional.

  So I'm not sure which could be the best way.

  Regards

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org