X server crashing (was: Re: Microsoft's new anti-Linux strategy)

[ok, let's try this with a sensible Subject line]
[please on the list. Only on the list.]

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 21:09,  ... wrote:
> Hallo Adrian,
>
> I'm running Opera 6.11 and Mozilla 1.2.1 and can't reproduce this problem.
> Any chance it has to do with locales or something like that?  BTW, the
> redirect page is:

Hm.
~$ locale
LANG=de_CH
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="de_CH"
LC_TIME="de_CH"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="de_CH"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER="de_CH"
LC_NAME="de_CH"
LC_ADDRESS="de_CH"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_CH"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_CH"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_CH"
LC_ALL=

but galeon is started with a wrapper script that corrects LC_CTYPE to
de_CH as my gtk1 theme is not unicode proof.

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

Yep, probably.

> or based upon your email address, perhaps:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=de

Nope, en

> Both work fine for me running testing with the same version of X, but the
> 2.2.5 version of libc.

Additional info:

mozilla-browser 2:1.2.1-9

I thought I could trick it by switching off Java(script), but that's not
the problem.

Oh, well. There's other browsers, too, and downloading MS updates is not
my favorite activity, so ...

I just found it really irritating, because while galeon crashing happens
every 10 years, but the X server crashing has not happened ever with any
version of XFree 4.2 that I tried yet.

cheers
-- vbi

--