Re: Something to think about....

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 04:17:52PM +0100, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:

> I was thinking about possible default kludges for ion-devel right now and
> came to the conclusion: a default kludge for e.g. xmms would only be nice,
> if xmms is installed - in that case, a separate workspace could be created
> etc. That means configuration dependencies in packages, if you understand
> what I mean :) Am I crazy, or could such a???thing be really useful for many
> packages?

  I'm not sure what would be involved, but I don't see this as being
 a bad thing.

  One of the first things I do when installing icwm is set it up so that
 xmms, gaim, irssi, and kmerlin all appear exclusively in the "tray
 icon" area - and not upon the main taskbar.

  I find this suits the way I work with those apps, I want them to be
 present all the time, but I dont want their windows distracting me from
 whatever real work I'm performing.

  As long as it's simple for people to revert your change if they have
 different preferences I see nothing wrong with this, although I'm
 guessing reaching a consensus could be problematic at best.  (Principle
 of least suprise ..)

  For icewm the change is trivial just adding 'xmms.tray: Exclusive' in
 /etc/X11/icewm/winoptions - and if xmms isn't installed there's no harm
 done, and no errors.
  I imagine a similar approach would work for other WM's, there'd be no
 need to really worry about dependencies, if the application is
 installed it'll work, if not there's no great harm done.

Steve
---
www.steve.org.uk