Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 07:54:11PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > I'm with you 100%.  Drop the package.  It's a trust issue (and a bad one
> > at that).
>
> If such things happen, how can you trust the Debian Project to
> deliever uncompromised software?

We have no proof that this imaginary "Debian Project" of yours has been
willfully distributing software that prevents users from using it. :)

Seriously though, the mICQ author is getting the same treatment as the
Debian maintainers are. Someone maintained a package of it under the belief
that he would not obstruct that. Now that he fucked that up, it's not
unreasonable to consider this belief false and stop maintaining the package.
People use programs via Debian packages under the belief that Debian
maintainers won't obstruct their doing so. When Debian maintainers fuck up
and make programs unusable, people stop using those packages.

(Note that I'm not actually saying anything about the rest of the issue like
Madkiss not being able to reason with the author beforehand, just this
particular point about how stuff gets compromised.)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.