Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:15:53AM +0100, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

> >>And, people, take it with humor that Rüdiger managed to hide code and
> >>put it into debian. It was _not_ a personal offence against us! No need
> >>to pay something back.

> >It was a personal offence against Debian. It was a deliberate sabotage
> >act, based only on personal prejudices, aimed towards the Debian mICQ
> >users. It also shows, that Mr. Kühlmann cannot behave in a professional
> >way. IMO the package should be removed from Debian ftp archives.

> The best solution, if one have enougth free time, is fo fork it from
> a "trusted" version, audit the code, and continue a separate development.

If you have so much free time and care about this package, feel free.
IMHO, if a package for interfacing with a proprietary chat system can
cause this much ruckus, we would be better able to serve our users by
dropping the package altogether.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer