Re: do not do this

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 07:25:47AM -0600, Graham Wilson wrote:
> > The developer's reference is a large document. We can plaster a section with
> > a slew of censure about this, but it won't necessarily have any positive
> > impact. When people read a large manual, they will usually not read all of
> > it carefully, regardless of whether it's crystal clear or bordering
> > incomprehensible.
> >
> > Having said that, I will add another sentence to that paragraph.
> > I'm not sure it will do much good, but it doesn't hurt, either.
>
> but next time somebody does this, we can refer them to the developers
> reference and say "look, it says it right there". now it doesnt seem
> like it is clearly defined anywhere.

Unless you're kidding, that's just bogus. It doesn't take a wizard to
discern the meaning of Debian changelog:

5.3. `debian/changelog'
-----------------------

     This file records the changes to the Debian-specific parts of the
     package[1].

(/usr/doc/debian-policy/policy.txt.gz)

...from the meaning of the method of closing bugs:

Closing bug reports

   Bug reports should be closed by sending email to
   nnn-done@bugs.debian.org. The message body needs to contain an
   explanation of how the bug was fixed.

(/usr/doc/debian/bug-maint-info.txt)

I realize that it may seem convenient to throw all of your bug analysis into
the changelog file, but it simply doesn't exist for that purpose. Heck, it's
supposed to be obvious from its name -- _change_ log. No changes => no
changelog entries.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.