Re: OpenSSL 0.9.6/0.9.7, LDAP, SSH, friends

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:07:55PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>   Currently in Debian there are quite a few packages which still link
>   against OpenSSL 0.9.6 (libldap2-tls, ssh-krb5, others).  Newer
>   packages are being linked against OpenSSL 0.9.7 (ssh, etc).  The
>   problem happens when these two end up getting linked into the same
>   running program.  An example of how this can happen is this:

I suspected this might be a problem.

The fact that OpenSSL 0.9.7 isn't always source code compatable with
0.9.6 doesn't help matters either.

>   I don't have an overall solution to this, though I've heard much about
>   versioned symbols perhaps being an answer.  I know that's been
>   discussed on d-d some already though and don't know where that went.

I think everything should now be linked against OpenSSL 0.9.7.

Still, this doesn't help for partial upgrades, etc.

Versioned symbols are the only thing that can help here.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>