Re: OpenSSL 0.9.6/0.9.7, LDAP, SSH, friends

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:07:55PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>   Currently in Debian there are quite a few packages which still link
>   against OpenSSL 0.9.6 (libldap2-tls, ssh-krb5, others).  Newer
>   packages are being linked against OpenSSL 0.9.7 (ssh, etc).  The
>   problem happens when these two end up getting linked into the same
>   running program.  An example of how this can happen is this:

Why can't we just recompile the programs in question against libssl
0.9.7? I've been waiting awhile to be able to remove 0.9.6.

<whine>Why does the name of the libssl package change EVERY FRIGGING
release? Does upstream really change the soname? Do they really break
binary compatibility? WHY?</whine>