Re: The 'users' gid: sync, games, and man

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:45:30AM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Unix systems have traditionally had a user called "sync" that has no
> password and which runs /bin/sync on login (and then, obviously,
> immediately exits). It was supposed to be useful when users noticed that

i assumed that is what it was for, but i attempted to log in as user
sync, and abacadabra, i couldnt. on my system, at least, the sync user
is configured to net let anybody log in.

> I'm not sure it's particularly useful anymore, however, and it might be
> an ancient relic that is not worth keeping.

if it is, the sync user should allow users to log in by default.
otherwise, your right; its probably not worth keeping.

--
gram