Re: Qt Changes ahead - Info for package maintainers + developers

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:31:47AM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Samstag, 8. Februar 2003 00:12, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 02:04:49PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > > Ralf Nolden <nolden@kde.org> writes:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > So you actually intend to make the Qt2/3/etc. development packages
> > > coexist?  Normally, different major versions of -dev packages conflict
> > > with each other, particularly because the .so and .a files share the
> > > same name.  How do you plan to work around this?
> >
> > well it will still be impossible for libqt-dev and libqt3-dev to be
> > installed at the same time anyways due to the c++ transition...libqt-dev
> > is still libpng2-dev based and libqt3-dev is libpng3-dev based...so no
> > matter what they will still conflict.
> Because we didn't move it over to libpng3 yet ? :-)

because we are not going to.  I cannot just switch to libpng3 without
a package name change...which I could do if I was migrating to gcc-3.2 as
the package names would move to libqt2c102 + libqt2c102-mt...at that point
I could switch to libpng3...***however*** according to the c++ transition
plan I cannot migrate Qt2 to gcc-3.2 and attempts at doing so are rejected
by the ftpmasters since it's against the plan.

So.  Qt2 stays with the old gcc API and with the older version of libpng and
thus the 2 -dev environments will continue to conflict.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II