Re: (re)compiling debian packages with ccc

Bob McElrath <bob+debian-alpha@mcelrath.org> writes:

> I'm trying to recompile several packages with Compaq's C Compiler
> (ccc), and would like input from the rest of you as to making this
> as smooth as possible.  (For those that don't know, ccc generates
> vastly superior code on the alpha, and should be the compiler of
> choice unless it is known that it can't compile a given package)

Well, that used to be the case, but nowadays, I seem to find it
generating worse code as often as better code compared to gcc. So it
is certainly not justified to generally prefer it. Do you have any
specific package in mind that does noticeably benefit? If so, one
could try to improve gcc for it...

--
	Falk