Re: Please don't non-bugs in changelog (again)

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:56:46AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> > * Bugs against packages in stable distribution don't make much sense.
>
> I thought the idea was that bugs for stable should have the
> "woody" tag added, and not be closed.
>
> That way future people can see that the bug report has already been
> answered.

Leaving them open vs. closing them is left to the discretion of the
maintainer. Either default is flawed because the BTS can't guess whether the
bug that the maintainer is closing existed only in one distribution or in
others. Even when the Version: tag handling is implemented, it will be hard
to figure this out (just because someone filed it against sid doesn't mean
it doesn't apply to stable, for example).

> Is there a BTS tag for not-a-bug, for keeping track of issues that users
> report that aren't bugs? (sorry, I don't have time to check now).

That should really be in README.Debian or FAQ.Debian... if the issue is in
the stable distribution and it annoys that many users, then consider
uploading a new version for inclusion in the next point release.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.