Re: more non-PIC static libs in shared libs

[Sorry, took me a while to get back to this issue.]

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:09:39AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> The question is what relocations the assembly uses.  Looking at the
> linker... if there are any relocations in .rel.dyn which apply to
> read-only sections, i.e. .text usually, then the library is
> inadequately PIC.  Are you branching to externally visible functions
> from assembly without using the GOT?  Take a look through .rel.dyn; see
> if you can find the problem relocations by their offsets, and post the
> affected assembly code.

The assembly does all kinds of weird stuff: jumping to .text symbols,
referencing .rodata symbols.  But even when I discarded all references
to read-only symbols from the asm, the lib still was flagged as TEXTREL.
There are still lots of relocations to read-write symbols in .data and
.bss.  They end up as R_386_32 relocations.  Am I right in assuming that
I'd have to clean those up as well?

Regards,

Daniel.