Re: complicated dependency problem(tetex-* and dvipdfm)

> - tetex-bin depends on tetex-base
> - dvipdfm is of its own package (not part of tetex-*)
>
> Forthcoming tetex-* based on (expected to be released soon)
> teTeX 2.0 will include dvipdfm so we should set conflicts,
> replaces, provides relations in tetex-* with dvipdfm.

> But tetex-base includes only supporting files for dvipdfm
> and tetex-bin includes a binary "dvipdfm".
>
> Then if one will install/upgrade tetex-*, tetex-base
> will be installed first and it should conflict/replace
> with dvipdfm but it would be not sufficient to provide
> dvipdfm because it doesn't include a binary.
>
> So it is natural to set tetex-bin: provides dvipdfm
> but this would make tetex-bin uninstallable because
> tetex-base conflicts with dvipdfm.
>
> Even if we provides dummy dvipdfm and set dependency with
> an appropriate version, I guess this problem wouldn't be
> fixed because "provide dvipdfm (= version)" doesn't work.

How about providing a real dvipdfm binary package produced from
tetex source, which depends on tetex-bin and tetex-base,
and removing dvipdfm binary produced from dvipdfm source package
(and maybe Depends: on dvipdfmx, because some functionality is
removed from dvipdfm).

That will probably be the most reliable way of creating an
upgrade path.

regards,
	junichi