Re: libexec dir

Bob Hilliard <hilliard@debian.org> writes:

> Is a libexec dir any kind of a standard?

It's mentioned in the GNU Coding Standards, and the GNU autotools
support it.

> My upstream has configured dictd to look for user-compiled plugins
> in /usr/local/libexec, and I have never heard of such a libexec
> directory.

libexec was omitted (wrongly, IMHO), from the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard, and so isn't used in Debian.  It's commonplace on BSD, Hurd
and other Linux distributions, however.

If the package uses configure, then --libexecdir=\${prefix}/lib will
put the files under /usr/lib instead.  Personally, I'd rather see
Debian allow the use of libexec.

--
Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers