Re: cross compiler deb package question

On Thursday 23 January 2003 03:02, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> * Arnd Bergmann <arnd@bergmann-dalldorf.de> [030122 18:36]:
> > - There is no 64 bit s390 Debian mostly because of lack of disk space
> >   on the mirror servers. It may be similar for sparc.
>
> Are we likely to run into this problem with x86-64?

I suppose the acceptance for another architecture will be much higher
for x86_64 than for s390x, simply because of the higher (future)
user base.

On the other hand, porting all packages to support lib64 will be a long
term task, so keeping 64 bit support as an add-on to the regular
i386/s390/sparc/... distributions might be a good idea anyway. It will
make it possible to easily use all 32 bit packages and anything that
is available for 64 bit at a given time.

Note that previous attempts for a 64 bit s390x debian did not use lib64
as libdir, which imho is no longer an option for any new 64 bit system,
because it would be incompatible with the rest of the world.

	Arnd <><