Re: policy for new kernel-images (e.g. RTAI)

I've read your points, but:

>   1 When is a kernel patch important/serious/useful/... enough to
>     justify a new binary image?

Take it the other way: when is a kernel image useful ?

Being a default kernel image for the patched kernel in Debian
means that people will want more features and more options enabled
in the kernel. I generally don't want to run full-featured
kernel that has everything possible that I don't want, and
I build my own kernel with its options, and with make-kpkg,
I am guessing that many people do build their own kernels.

Unless that a kernel image which suits all needs is possible,
I don't think it is really advisable to provide a kernel image
with that specific kernel patch.

>   2 Would the suggested package fall under the point above?

And thus I would consider that RTAI to be not something a
Debian stock RTAI kernel will suit everyone.

regards,
	junichi