Re: Open Source Games and Cheating - a paradoxum?

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 06:13:16PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   The fundamental fact here is that *cheating is a social problem, not a
> technical one*, and the solution to cheating is to not play games with
> cheaters.

I take Carmack's advice for most games: "play with your friends".

This doesn't work at all for large-scale games, though, like graphical
MUDs.  I don't have 2000 friends to play a game with.  (Or even
medium-scale games, like shooters that are designed to have 20-40
players.)  In these cases, it can't be solved socially, so the only
recourse is to try to solve it technically.

--
Glenn Maynard