Re: why is it not moving to testing

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:10:25PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I don't think that makes sense. Having a source+binary upload doesn't
> guarantee the package will build on the autobuilders, and it doesn't
> guarantee that it was tested either.

No, of course it doesn't. It guarantees that it built once on one
architecture with one set of debs installed. Which is better than nothing,
and, really, all you can reasonably ask a maintainer to demonstrate.

At the *very* least, it means the maintainer is the one that ends up fixing
stupid typos that stop the package from building; and in the normal case it
doesn't cause real problems.

In practice, there are occassional problems with it, but they're very
occassional, and easily dealt with on a case by case basis. Compared to,
eg, the problems glibc has and is causing at the moment, it's simply
not an issue worth worrying about.

Cheers,
aj

    ``Australian Linux Lovefest Heads West''
                   -- linux.conf.au, Perth W.A., 22nd-25th January 2003