Installing a local SGML DTD

I am running the testing (sarge) distribution and would like to
install a DTD for SGML files.  The files come from Oxford University
Press (OUP).  The dtd itself is in the file ouphead.dtd and a typical
public identifier is

<!--Typical public identifier "-//OUP//DTD Article Header Database//EN"

Could someone please advise me on where to install the DTD so it is
accessed by programs like sgml2xml?  Looking at other examples it
seems to me that I want to end up with a symbolic link like
 /usr/share/sgml/OUP/dtd/Article_Header_Database -> ../../dtd/ouphead.dtd

Are there other things that I need to do to update catalogs?  I did
install the sgml-base and sgml-base-doc packages but the documents in
sgml-base-doc seem to be incomplete.

My ultimate goal is to build DOMs from these files in Python scripts
and process them that way.  I plan on using sgml2xml to convert these
to XML then use a reader such as xml.dom.ext.reader.PyExpat.Reader
Does this seem to be a reasonable approach to building a DOM or can I
use the sgmllib in Python directly?

--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598