Re: Bloat: XML, GUI design (was: Re: [OT] Gnome configuration (was: Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]))

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 11:58:01PM +0100, J?r?me Marant wrote:
>   XML is definitely for interoperability between applications.

Do tell me, what about XML makes it automatically suitable for
interoperability?

Last time I checked, while English and Spanish share a superficial
similarity in character set, an English-only speaker would have a great
deal of difficulty reading Spanish.

XML provides a way of representing tree structures.  What you put in
that tree depends on the application, and only applications with
that knowledge can operate on the data.  And now you're back to square
one.  Except that now you have an unwieldy and unnecessarily verbose
syntax to parse, and bloated libraries to deal with it.

[I know you agree with the OP, but I won't let this ``reason'' escape
unnoticed =]

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.