Re: CORBA and Unix IPC

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:54:54PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> If Unix' IPC features are to primitive for GUI components, then let's
> work on that. But let's not drop the concept of standard, well thought
> out data messages between applications and switch to COM or Corba all
> the way, so that interfaces can be as wide as convenient. That's just
> not the Unix (or the internet) way, IMHO. That's the Windows (or telco
> standards ;-)) way. If we need a new kind of pipe for the 21st century,
> then let's build one. But please let's not toss Unix' model. It's not
> needed.

Unix IPC and CORBA are different technologies that compliment each
other, rather then contradict or replace each other.

Unix IPC provides the low level frame work for passing messages (similar
to OSI layer 1 to 4), and CORBA provides infrastructure so that the
datatypes can be accesses on different computers with different
languages (similar IIRC to OSI layers 5 to 6).

CORBA *needs* Unix IPC, TCP, or some other communications protocol
to work, similar to how TCP needs IP, which needs one/more of
{Ethernet, to work.

If you don't use CORBA, then you will need something else to replace
this layer and support multiple languages, byte swapping, etc (even if
it is done internally in the application itself), these tasks are out of
the scope of the Unix IPC system.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>