Re: question regarding prelinking (was: (inc. note from dpkg developers) (was:Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking))

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 03:54:06PM +0100, Sebastian Rittau wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 01:17:50PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
>
> > If linking plays such a big part in the (noticeable) startup time of
> > these applications, then IMHO that signifies broken design, and indeed,
> > inventing a new .so for every three functions /is/ broken design.
>
> Modularization is not broken but good design.

Design is all about /how/ you modularize. Endless modularization is not
good design. Good design is good modularization.

> > In most cases you need exactly matching minor versions for all those
> > KDE/Gnome support libraries anyway - just look at how often the soname
> > versions are incremented.
>
> This is false (at least in the GNOME case).

$ apt-cache search gnome | grep '^lib[a-z-]*[0-9][0-9]'
libgal19 - G App Libs (run time library)
libgconf11 - GNOME configuration database system libraries
libgnome32 - The Gnome libraries
libgnomeprint15 - The GNOME Print architecture - runtime library
libgnomeui32 - The Gnome libraries (User Interface)
libgnorba27 - Gnome CORBA services
libguppi16 - GNOME graph and plot component

> > Make no illusions, nobody's going to use your utility functions
> > standalone anyway, outside of those environments.
>
> Wrong. There are many programs that use only a subset of GNOME's
> functionality. There are especially many applications out there that
> build only on GTK+.

I wasn't referring to GTK+. I specifically mentioned GTK+ and the rest
of Gnome as the point where a good split could be made.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info