Re: Make debconf mandatory for prompting the user

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:10:28AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Your policy says:
>
> You should probably have filed this as a bug on the policy
> pseudo'package, or at least discuss it on the policy mailing list.

I sent the original bug to both debian-devel and submit@bugs and it's
#176506.

debian-devel is important for finding Debian developer supporting my
proposal.

I'm no longer a Debian developer and there's a Debian developer needed
to retitle this bug to [PROPOSAL] and at least two other Debian
developers to second it.

> > There's one problem that will arise:
> > Essential packages prompting the user.
> >
> > There are two possible solutions for this problem:
> > 1. essential packages have to check whether debconf is available and if
> >    yes have to use it
> > 2. make debconf essential (it's already present on nearly every system
> >    since many packages already depend on it; it should be possible to
> >    remove the size of the debconf package by seperating separating
> >    things like locales files away from the main package)
>
> The former is the better option IMHO. Although it is really better to
> check if the debconf language interface (ie,
> /usr/share/debconf/confmodule.sh) is available, then alternatives like
> cdebconf can be used as well).

Something like:

<--  snip  -->

2.3.9.1. Prompting in maintainer scripts

     Package maintainer scripts may prompt the user if necessary.
     Prompting must be done through programs like `debconf' that
     conform to the Debian Configuration management specification,
     version 2 or higher.

     The only exception to this rule are essential packages.
     Essential packages must check whether the debconf language
     interface is available and use it if available.

<--  snip  -->

> see shy jo

cu
Adrian