Re: Please! Fix your MUA! (was: Re: question regarding prelinking)

I suppose I could have delusions of Branden and complain about the CC
despite my mail headers and list policy, but I'll refrain.  :)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:23:25PM -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
>       Well one thing I have noticed is that if you aren't subscribed
> to a particular debian mailing list but see a message in the web based
> archives you want to respond to, there doesn't appear to be a field
> displayed telling you what to reference. I see References listed in
> the message display...say for...

Okay, that's a good enough reason not to filter out un-Referenced
messages, at least.

> but they all seem only related to the references for that email that
> had been sent and not what one should be referencing in a reply.
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this stuff but I would think there should be
> a reference number shown that can be used to reply to the message you
> are viewing so you end up with your message appropriately placed in the
> thread. I've since subscribed to this list again but there are other
> lists that one might occasionally want to send a message to after reading
> the web based archives and it isn't clear how one gets that referenced
> correctly.

List archives should probably make the Message-ID visible.  It's very often
useful to search for a message by MID; for example, to quickly provide a URL
to a message without having to scan a thread index.

In theory, this being available *could* be used to manually construct a
minimal References: header, but I don't really expect people to do that.

--
Glenn Maynard