0755 files after install, 0644 before.

hi there,

i am packaging an internal package and experiencing something funny.
my debian/rules installs a couple of files to /usr/share/package and
rather than using install(1) for each operation, I just cp(1) them and
then later `chmod -R u=rwX,og=rX /usr/share/package`.

this works just fine. i mean, almost. the files in
./debian/package/usr/share/package are all 0644 as they should be,
except for the scripts and directories, which are 0755. `dpkg
--contents` lists the files as -rw-r--r-- as it should.

However, when I proceed to install the package, the /usr/share/package
hierarchy will have a couple of files with 0755 permissions, even
though they had 0644 in the package. there is no postinst script or
anything of that sort involved. and there is no pattern as to which
scripts change their mode. they are just always the same, even if
I purge and reinstall the package.

any clues on what's going on?

--
Please do not CC me! Mutt (www.mutt.org) can handle this automatically.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc