dpkg-buildpackage does not know the CPU type

I am new to Debian, but want to follow the true path of building
packages.  I have noticted that dpkg-buildpackage does not build
packages optimized for my host platform (ie packages are build for i386,
not Athlon).  This is probably a safe default, but I would like to build
packages for myself that have the atleast the -mcpu=i686 flag passed to
the compiler...

I have noticed that I can force a CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS env variables when I
build the package.  Is this the best way?

Cheers,
Bart.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/