How to install hacked libgtk+2.0-0?

I wish to install a hacked libgtk+2.0-0. I already installed the package, so I think I do not need to use equivs, I can just copy the files to the appropriate places (of course when I do an upgrade I will lose the changes but that is ok). Should I just do a 'make install' in my (hacked) upstream/tarballs/gtk+-2.2.0 and it will do the right thing? If not what should I do?

Please send email as I do not subscribe to this list.  Thanks,
Adam