Re: x86-64 port of debian/linux

[ I am neither a subscriber, please CC me in your replies. ]

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:49:22PM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 04:28:42PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> >
> > I believe Robert Millan was starting some work on x86-64 as part of his
> > work on bochs, but I don't know the details ...
>   He said that using bochs that project could start even without having
>   the hardware, as bochs now supports x86-64 arch. He also filled a bug
>   to create debian-x86-64 list, but I think that some more work must to
>   be done for the list to be created.
>   AFAIK he hasn't done any more, anyway, I'm CCing him.

I started building a toolchain but i hit a GCC build bug on x86-64,
then run out of free time and gave up.

Bart, it's great news you want to take on it. Some notes:

- Bochs packages in Sid have x86-64 enabled by default.
- There's an image of Linux for x86-64 in Bochs diskimages site
(IIRC you can boot it as a floppy image or load it with GRUB)
- see README.Debian
- see http://bochs.sourceforge.net/tmp/x86-64/, maybe something
useful there
- the emulation is not perfect. if you hit some bug be sure to
ask in the bochs list, someone may be addressing it already.

Please keep me informed.

Robert Millan

"Omnis enim res, quad dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."

"For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it is
not rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared."

		Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)