Re: gcc-3.2 transition breaks build of KDE packages

On 10-Jan-03, 00:49 (CST), "Ivan E. Moore II" <rkrusty@earthlink.net> wrote:
> ...qt2 depends on x which will soon be recompiled
> with gcc3.2/g++3.2.  I'm not sure what problems will exist if people try
> to build qt2 based apps after X is uploaded.  Qt2 built with gcc2.95 and
> X built with gcc3.2...  Then on top of that the KDE2 stuff..which we really
> don't care much about since we are going to KDE3.

Uh, the gcc3.2 ABI change is only for C++. Since the X API is C, I don't
see how this is a problem. Build qt2 and kde2 with 2.95, keeping the old
C++ ABI[1]. Build new stuff with 3.2. Both should work just fine with X.

Steve

[1] which requires a 2.95 version of the standard C++ library, but
that's getting a new soname anyway for 3.2, right? So no conflict there.

--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net