Re: suggested virtual package name: dns-server

Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:51:50PM -0500, Michael Poole wrote:
>> It seems dodgy to have packages conflict solely because they provide
>> service on a well-known port -- at least if the servers can be
>> configured to use other ports.

> I've done similar discussions with other developers, too, and I also
> happen to agree with you, in contrast to most other people I've
> spoken to anyway. Afaik most if not all SMTP servers conflict with
> each other as per dependency, yet most of them can be configured to
> use different ports to listen on, at least when used from inetd
> (just to name another example).
[...]

Most (all?) of the packages providing mail-transport-agent have to
conflict because they have at least one conflicting file,
/usr/sbin/sendmail.

If you invested some effort you could probably manage this as
alternative but I don't think it is worth the effort and the
addedcomplexity. Installing two MTA's at the same time is only needed
for special scenarios that need manual tweaking anyway.
                       cu andreas