Re: gcc 3.2 transition in unstable

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 06:46:45PM +0000, Eduardo P?rez Ureta wrote:
> Sure, but some libraries like KDE change API/ABI without changing
> sonames, and sonames should also change in that case.

Give instances of this, I do not know of any...
(btw - I am the KDE maintainer.)

> In the gcc-3.2 transition the main problem to not change sonames is to
> keep compatibility with other distributions that are not changing
> sonames in their gcc-3.2 transition.

imho the concept of sonames is broken... Any number of things can cause
you to need to bump the soname technically, compile with a different
version of a library, a different version of compiler, etc.

How is upstream supposed to deal with that?

Of course... Require that you compile it only with a certain specific set
of tools, but that is never going to happen realistically.

Chris

cc me on replies please.