Re: gcc 3.2 transition in unstable

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Ryan Murray wrote:

>      * If you maintain a library written in C++:
>           + Wait until all of your dependencies have been uploaded in
>             `c102' versions, and rebuilt on all architectures.

hmm.

>           + If you are building for libqt3 or don't depend on libqt in
>             any way:

This header and the one I quote below can both match normal c++ library
packages.

>                o add a `c102' to the end of the name of your .deb, eg
>                  libdb4.0++.deb -> libdb4.0++c102.deb. This is similar in
>                  spirit to the glibc transition adding `g' to the end of
>                  libraries.

Ok.  So the package is renamed.  Fine with that.

>      * If you maintain a library or a program written in C++, that isn't
>        part of the qt2 dependency chain:
>           + Wait until all your dependencies have been uploaded in `c102'
>             versions, and rebuilt on all architectures.
>           + If your Depends: line isn't generated automatically, you'll
>             need to change it too. But you should be using dpkg-shlibdeps
>             anyway ;-)
>           + Upload and rejoice!

So, when are the c++ library packages supposed to be renamed?  You only
briefly discuss this(in rather too much detail) for the qt stuff.

It appears to me that some of the qt explanation needs to be move to the
generic part.

Also, won't .shlibs need to be changed?