Re: POSIXLY_CORRECT and install scripts

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:01:04PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
But even internally it's not really a good decision to depend on non-standard
mostly undocumented behaviour.  It makes it harder to interoperate with other
systems if someone does want to use our packages on a non-debian system,

That's hardly going to be the major stumbling block. We have a policy
for a reason, and we should follow that policy, not "what other systems
might do in case someone wants to install a debian package on a
system that isn't policy compliant." That's not to say that restrictions
make sense in some situations, but asking developers to worry about
hypotheticals like that is unwarrented--there are enough real problems
to spend time on.

and for that matter there's no guarantee the GNU programs won't change
behaviour at some point in the future. Whereas we can be pretty sure
POSIX mandated behaviour won't change, at least without notice.

The behavior of the gnu utilities usually doesn't change without
notice either. Especially since the debian maintainer can add
compatability if necessary.

Mike Stone