Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 10:45:21AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 02:03:50AM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> >Yes and isn't the fact we don't "end of life" distributions when there is
> >no more money to be made from them a a benefit?
>
> No, we end of life them arbitrarily when we don't feel like working on
> them anymore. I'm not sure that's a distinct advantage. (Or are you
> aware of any contractual obligation for debian to continue working on
> sparc and alpha in perpetuity?)

You, my friend, hold contracts in higher esteem than they deserve.

The actions of companies that are playing the mergers and acquisitions
game tend to be a lot less predictable than the actions of people
dedicated enough to volunteer.

A contract to a company, especially with customers for a no longer
interesting product on the other end is just something that defines
certain monetary consequences for certain actions, if any, and nothing
that obligates anybody to *do* anything, unless you're a natural person
and don't have enough money to spend on legal battles.

I'd rather trust my business to the continuity provided by people doing
what they do for love and because they need the result of their labor
themselves than to companies that can EOL a product line before you even
had a chance to blink your eyes.

Cheers,

Emile.

Oh, and happy new year!