Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:00, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 02:57:40PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> >If Debian people lose interest then anyone who wants debian on such
> > platforms can address the issue by:
> >Donating relevant hardware to Debian developers (you want to have your own
> >hardware running Debian...).
>
> That doesn't address the "lost interest" problem.

I would be interested in doing Debian/SPARC work if someone gave me some
useful SPARC hardware.

I have just become interested in Debian/ARM for very similar reasons...

> >Giving some cash as "encouragement" for developers who work on the
> > platform. Doing the work themselves (and joining Debian if they aren't
> > already a developer).
> >Paying someone to do the work.
>
> You could do any of those with an old redhat release. Again, this is not
> a distinct advantage/reason for people to run debian.

The amount of money required to get Red Hat interested in supporting an
architecture is probably going to be significant.

The amount of money required for Debian will be a lot less.  If a company I
worked for needed better support for Debian on a non-Intel CPU I'd recommend
hiring someone from Eastern Europe.  We appear to have quite a few Debian
developers from EE countries and many programmers who haven't yet become
developers.  The cost of the cheapest SPARC server machine (I mean serious
servers not those crappy T1's) is equivalent to many years salary for a
programmer in EE.