Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 16:45, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 02:03:50AM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> >Yes and isn't the fact we don't "end of life" distributions when there is
> >no more money to be made from them a a benefit?
>
> No, we end of life them arbitrarily when we don't feel like working on
> them anymore. I'm not sure that's a distinct advantage. (Or are you
> aware of any contractual obligation for debian to continue working on
> sparc and alpha in perpetuity?)

If Debian people lose interest then anyone who wants debian on such platforms
can address the issue by:
Donating relevant hardware to Debian developers (you want to have your own
hardware running Debian...).
Giving some cash as "encouragement" for developers who work on the platform.
Doing the work themselves (and joining Debian if they aren't already a
developer).
Paying someone to do the work.