Re: smb-network package

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:14:17 +0100
Marcel Kolaja <mkolaja@mistral.cz> wrote:
> to your sources.list file. Although the upstream maintainer forgot to
> include a license file in the tarball of the latest version,
> smb-network is GNU GPL software (I asked the upstream maintainer about
> it).

Get them to include that license! :) It's very important. It should be
in the upstream tarball before it makes it into the Debian archive. (And
before you distribute it, too.)

> I am not a Debian maintainer, but I would be happy to become a
> Debian maintainer and maintain smb-network. So I would like to ask if
> there is anyone who wants to sponsor me.

The first step of a typical New Maintainer (at least one that completes
the process) is to go to http://nm.debian.org and get the ball rolling.

> I have my GPG key already
> signed by present Debian maintainer. Unfortunately different key
> (FFC7E5D4) from that one which I signed the package with (28E18DE1).
> Is it enough to sign my 28E18DE1 key with the FFC7E5D4 one?

I believe so, but hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than me will
answer.

> Next I have a question about developing. I have defined no
> dependencies because I do not know which way is the best to
> responsibly determine the dependencies. For example I know
> smb-network.cgi is written in Perl, but I do not know which one of the
> Perl packages should I write into the Depends item of the package. I
> also know smb-network needs WWW server and smbclient, but is there any
> other way to determine the dependencies than guessing what everything
> is required for run of the package?

Well, never guess first of all. If you're going to do it manually, you
should do at least as good a job as the automatic tools. Speaking of
automatic tools, 'man dh_perl'. Of course, before even suggesting an
upload to Debian, you should read and fully understand the Debian Policy
Manual, as well as the Debian Perl Policy, both of which are linked to
directly from http://www.debian.org/devel/

Happy hacking.