Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 04:20:25PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > You would ignore the wishes of non-free .deb users for the sake of sparing
> > us of one periodic flamewar? I don't think that's a good ratio. Perhaps if
> > dumping non-free would simultaneously add i(5|6|7|8|9|whatever)86
> > optimizations to the rest of Debian -- then I might be amenable to that :>
>
> We ignore the wishes of users all the time.  A quick glance at the BTS
> shows that packages maintained by you have 129 wishlist bugs open;
> about 10% of those have "wontfix" tags.
>
> Nothing is wrong with this; I assume that you make a sensible decision
> about which wishes of users to delay, which to follow, and which to
> ignore.
>
> Debian is 100% free software, and we consistently "ignore" the wishes
> of those users who want us to change that.  We "ignore" those wishes
> for a very good reason and not just to avoid a flamewar.

But in this case, we strain the definition in the social contract -- we
prevent people from getting the benefit of the "testing" system with
non-free packages. How are we to verify that this software "has been
configured for use with Debian" if the users have to use something like

deb http://ftp.xy.debian.org/debian sid non-free

in their sources.list file to get non-free .debs, and at the same time don't
know if it will run on stable at all?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.