[desktop] gnome2 install experience

I just set up a new machine with gnome2.
Everything pretty much worked right out of the box, but here are some
details:

I use testing, and I just want to be able to pull packages out of
unstable.  My /etc/apt/preferences:

	Package: *
	Pin: release a=testing
	Pin-Priority: 900

	Package: *
	Pin: release a=unstable
	Pin-Priority: 200

Then:
	apt-get -t unstable install gnome

And after that finished:
	echo gnome-session > ~/.Xsession
	startx

Everything started up more or less as I would expect (though the
likely their bug and not Debian's).

"Most likely their bug and not Debian's" probably describes most of the
problems I've found:
 - The default font was a monospaced font.  (I was using GDK_USE_XFT=1
   already for some other GTK2 stuff before I installed GNOME.)
   The font preferences showed it defaulted to "sans", but apparently
   that alias wasn't pointing anywhere useful (for the GTK2 stuff, I was
   just using 'gtk-font-name = "verdana 11"' in my ~/.gtkrc-2.0).

   This is... what... an Xft misconfiguration?  I'm not sure how it
   could be fixed, unless defoma starts managing /etc/X11/XftConfig to
   make sure that "sans", "serif", "monospace" are aliased to
   appropriate fonts.  Or maybe we just need to wait for Xft2 so
   fontconfig can magically find the right fonts?

 - The terminal lets me chose an Xft-style font with the GTK font picker,
   but doesn't actually use that font.  Are they still using zvt in
   the terminal or something?

 - The "Debian" menu is empty (am I lacking a package somewhere?), but
   ironically the "KDE" menu has a few programs in it (though I've never
   installed any KDE software and I don't even have libqt on my system).

 - Nautilus is slow on my 1.4ghz x86 machine.  Shameful.

--
      Evan Martin
martine@cs.washington.edu