Re: Open up "testing" (Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew)

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 07:00:37PM +0200, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > It's been a month. One. Month.
> Not that I'm supporting the former argument, but IMHO the "one month"
> figure is not quite comparable with previous release cycles. Back last
> year, the deadline for updates of base packages was set sometime in
> November/December. Considering we didn't have testing, would it be
> _that_ unrealistic [1] that we would have just started freezing woody
> then? Oh wait, that would have been six or seven months ago from now...

Well, I don't want to argue too strongly for the potato release process
and the woody release process being directly comparable, but "freeze"
means the same thing now as it did for potato: updates are only allowed
in with the release manager's explicit approval. In any event, updates
to base packages (let alone standard, optional and extra packages) have
been entirely automatic until May, except for about a month in back in
November or so.

Anyway, excercise a bit more of that patience for the next day or so and
see if things begin to make a little more sense.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif