Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 10:18, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

>     Steve> This is not a contest; Debian is about providing the best
>     Steve> Free Operating System that we can make, not just about
>     Steve> market share.
>
> Folks, new users, new maintainers: The keyword here is 'the best'!
>
> Historically, Debian GNU/Linux have NEVER 'cared', 'bothered' (etc)
> with what USERS want. Debian GNU/Linux is not for the users. It is
> FOR the system administrator(s), BY the system administrator(s).

*Cough* Debian Social Contract states Debian is here to serve its users.
And given that Debian is a volunteer organisation, thats not a
particularly easy thing to do given the huge varitty of userbase. Life
has to be a compromise. Take security for instance, the creation of a
powerful extensible security system has delayed the woody release so we
can continue to provide excellent secuirty coverage.

I really dont see the point in rushing out something that is substandard
and will not serve our users as it is poor, and hence contradict the
Social Contract. Debian is well known for releasing multi platform, high
quality secure distributions. With a well tested collection of
applications. A big achievement for a volunteer organisation, one i am
personally proud of.

So why dont people stop with that abuse against these hard working
developers or start helping. (Yes i know some hurdles cannot be jumped
by everyone)

Woody is a significant step up and a very important one.

Cheers
--
Rob 'robster' Bradford
http://robster.org.uk