Re: Digital video recording software

> > This is FUD. The mplayer people stronly favor open licenses. In fact
> > almost all code is GPL. Yes, some codecs are only supported throug
> > closed-source binary modules. Those codecs do not have open source
> > alternatives (eg QuickTime). However there is nothing illegal in using
> > them.
>
> Yes, there is. First you cannot link GPL code with proprietary modules.
> Second, many of these proprietary modules are not free (beer) : you have
> to own a license of MS Windows to have the right to use them.

As long as you don't distribute that portion, we don't have much
say whether it is legal or illegal to be potentially able to use
proprietary modules when a user has a license to
whatever proprietary software they need.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4