Re: RFA: cadaver

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 05:28:52PM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> I intend to orphan cadaver if nobody is taking the maintainerhsip.

> The reason for this is, that I do not want to stress myself with
> debian-legal issues anymore. For a full hitory of the problem, see bug
> report #163583

> I have packaged 0.20, but it is not available on ftp site. since it was
> restricted for licensing issues (conflict between OpenSSL and GPL), but I
> will reupload it with SSL disabled.

> The new maintainer will have to port cadaver to GNU TLS, since cadaver
> without SSL support does not make much sence to me.

> The package has no open bug reports.

> If you are interested, please contact me.

I took a brief look at getting cadaver to build with gnutls, just in case
it turned out to be trivial.  Here is the list of missing OpenSSL symbols
that cadaver looks for:

  SSL_peek
  SSL_get_version
  ERR_reason_error_string
  SSL_CTX_ctrl
  SSL_CTX_set_default_passwd_cb
  SSL_CTX_set_default_passwd_cb_userdata
  SSL_CTX_check_private_key

If anyone knows a suitable replacement for these functions within gnutls,
or is inclined to work with gnutls to get these functions implemented,
they might be interested in looking into this package.

Patches to the cadaver build scripts for gnutls detection are available
upon request.

As a data point for the often-asked question of "is gnutls good enough to
use as a replacement?", the undefined symbols listed above represent a
little under 1/3 of the functions cadaver (libneon) uses from OpenSSL.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer