Re: Possible library versioning approach -- (evaluation requested)

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:

>> I am not sure this is the right solution, but this scale much
>> better than using 1,2,3,4.  and it will be easier to handle in the
>> long run, and is self-explanatory. Also the soname is not mixed
>> with the name.
>>

> If you are using libtool and automake, it would be:
>
> LDFLAGS = .....  -release @OTHERLIB_NAMES@

Doesn't -release actually change the library name, not the soname?
What I (and I presume Bill) had been discussing was

  libfoo.so.1-whatever6-whateverelse-5...

rather than

  libfoo-1-whatever6-whateverelse-5...so

Among other things, the former would mean that -lfoo was always
correct.  The latter would not.  If you weren't using libtool I
presume setting an arbitrary soname would usually be trivial, but
unfortunately with libtool, I'm not sure it's possible, or that the
maintainers would have any interest in making it possible.

> and checking other sonames in configure time:
>
> OTHERLIB_NAMES=whatever6-whateverelse3-whateverelse2
>
> However, I don't know of a way to reliably check sonames in
> configure scripts...

I'd wondered about that too, but in many cases, for example for glib
and guile, it's easy to figure it out via glib-config and guile-config
respectively.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu