Re: private debian pools

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 10:48:30PM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> I do not agree with you for different reasons. First of all noone forces
> people to add private archives to their sources.list. If users do that
> they should know that things can break more easily. Sometimes private
> archive are really usefull for pre-testing pkgs before they enter debian.

Then you encounter the problem that user X (for instance) modifies
fileutils with ACL support and adds it to his/her private archive.

User Y modifies the same version of fileutils with, say SE-Linux, and
places it online his/her website.

User Z, who uses both archives, suddenly finds he/she may get a ACL
version of fileutils OR an SE-Linux version of fileutils depending on
how X and Y named the versions. Lets assume the ACL version has ".x.1"
appended to the version, and the selinux version has the ".y.1" appended
to the version. So the .selinux version will be treated as "newer".

While it is true that only one version can get installed, IMHO it is not
so good that the user doesn't get any warning of the problem.

Now user X and user Y realize that there is a problem, and user Y agrees
to remove his package, if user X creates a ".x.2" version that has both
SE-Linux and ACL support.

Only now, users who already have .y.1 installed will see version .x.2 as
a downgrade, not an upgrade.

I think this is dumb.

Soory, I don't have any solutions to these specific problems.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>