Re: private debian pools

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 10:48  am, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

I do not agree with you for different reasons. First of all noone forces
people to add private archives to their sources.list. If users do that
they should know that things can break more easily. Sometimes private
archive are really usefull for pre-testing pkgs before they enter debian.

And sometimes third-party archives are useful because a third party has the resources and inclination to look after something we don't (yet).

Are you seriously saying that you don't want this to be made more reliable because "no-one forces people" to use such archives, and "they should know that [if they use these archives] things can break more easily"?

Nobody forces people to use unstable (or even testing) either, and putting the relevant lines in your apt.sources can make things break more easily. Does this mean that we shouldn't try to make them work reliably?

Exactly which bit of trying to make things work better do you think is a bad idea?

Cheers,

Nick