Re: Pre-linux Windows program - was Re: bill gates Linux

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 07:08:17PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:31:11AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Why make it a separate program that runs under Windows?  Why not mount
> > the Windows partition from the Linux installer, and read the registry
> > from there?

> Because it's easier for Windows to read its own registry and write a
> portable ASCII file than it is for Linux, as you'd have to implement a
> 'fs' driver for it. Not that I think this is all necessarily a good idea
> though.

Actually, I would find it significantly easier to borrow code from Wine
to do registry parsing and run a tool against a Windows partition
mounted read-only to extract the information we need, than I would to
write a Windows application to do roughly the same thing.

> Before you know, people will go back to Windows to change their IP
> address in Linux because they don't know how to do it there.

Well, since debconf is not a registry, that would be a little difficult,
wouldn't it?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer