Using kernel-build packages to autobuild modules

The perennial wart on the side of kernel module packages is that it's
a big pain to auto-build modules for the stock kernels.  It looks like
the 2.4.20 kernel packages now include a kernel-build package, which
advertises that it contains everything you need to do module builds.
Is there a good way to drop this into module builds?

The fundamental problem seems to be that I want to build-depend on
kernel-build-2.4.20, and then build a module for each of the flavors
in /usr/src/kernel-build-2.4.20.  But which flavors exactly exist
varies per platform, and might also vary between builds of the
kernel.  This means that the contents of debian/control need to be
different on each platform.  I could put every possible
architecture/version/flavor triple in debian/control, but this seems
unmaintainable.  Any hints?

	-- Abra Mitchell