Re: description writing guide

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:21:24PM -0500, David B Harris <david@eelf.ddts.net> was heard to say:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:13:57 +0100
> Michael Piefel <piefel@debian.org> wrote:
> > Line breaks already aren't preserved, and there already exist a very
> > specific set of rules for that. Look into your documentation, and have
> > a look at dselect.
>
> I already have example applications which don't preserve them :)
> packages.d.o was just one such example.
>
> Could you point me at the documentation in question?

  I think it used to be in the Developer's Reference, Policy, or the
Packaging Guide.  I'd check those -- although I wasn't able to find it
last time I wanted to refer to it.

  Basically, all lines in a long description start with (at least) one
space, paragraphs are separated by a line containing only a period, and
lines starting with two spaces are formatted literally and not
word-wrapped.  Oh, and lines beginning with a period which contain other
letters are reserved for future expansion.

  There may be more, I don't remember perfectly.

  Daniel

|         "Note that fires are not restricted to dormitories.                 |
|          Indeed, fire can occur in off-campus residences as well."          |
|           -- Brown University Fire Safety Guide                             |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/